Monday, February 7, 2022

The Face of a Stranger (William Monk #1)

 


By: Anne Perry

Release Date: November 1st 2011 (first published 1990)

Publisher: Thorndike Press

Series: William Monk #1

Rating: 1 out 5

They said his name is William Monk, and he is a London police detective. But an accident that happened upon him left him with no memories. As he tries to hide the truth, Monk returns to work and is assigned to investigate the brutal murder of a Crimean War hero. Can he solve this mystery when he forgot his professional skills along with everything else?

The Face of a Stranger is a boring book. I struggled to finish the book, and  I was close to being defeated.

The main character, Monk, has amnesia. I get it. But he sits around with all this introspection, wondering what kind of person he is, who he is, why he doesn’t seem to have any friends, etc. Why doesn’t he just ask someone? His sister, or maybe his boss. I get the impression that he’s going to sit around doing this through the entire book, and I don’t care that much. I don’t much care who killed Joscelin Grey, either.

The writing style was choppy and slow. Too many repetitions, too many inner monologues, and a mystery too easy to unravel.

I can’t say I didn’t like the book. I don’t have any feelings about it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theodora: Actress, Empress, Whore (Empress Theodora #1)

Theodora: Actress, Empress, Whore By: Stella Duffy Release Date: September 27, 2011 Publisher: Penguin Group Series: Empress Theodora Ra...